Wednesday, 1 February 2017

February 3, 2017 Reflection (Personal Finance)

Today's class had a lot of discussion, and it's this kind of discussion that keeps me continually interested in personal finance. We started by examining two points from an article - these two points stressed the importance of reading and using time wisely. I completely agree with the first point. Reading allows us to learn new things, think critically, and open up our minds. I'll admit, the past few years haven't really been a good time for me to read, which is why I really enjoy our fifteen (today's 20) minutes of reading every class.

As for the second point, I agree, but to an extent. Of course, using time wisely allows us to effectively use it. Just like money, we should make sure our time is going to the things that matter. However, there's something about the argument of the internet being a distraction that I don't completely agree with. Obviously removing the productive aspect of the internet leaves nothing but distractions, and so I'm left to wonder what the point of the internet is when one isn't doing work.

One could argue that the purpose of the internet when one isn't working is entertainment. My question stands as such: after a productive day at work (using the internet), what's wrong with using the internet as a method of relaxation? From the article you showed us this morning, Mr. Bisset, it seemed like there were compelling statistics that showed nearly 70% of people using the internet recreationally. Here's where critical thinking comes into play, too. While I'm inclined to believe the study, it's hard to do so when I don't even know what the study is. Who was the audience of that study? How can we be sure that the 70% of people waste their time on the internet without using it productively as well? Who conducted the survey? What was the sample size?

Speaking of stats, when you asked students in class today about using Facebook as a method of networking, I'll argue that the sample space isn't representative of most students. Many of us are second semester seniors with more time to spare. Plus, Facebook was meant to be a general example.

I think it's impossible (and incorrect) to generalize use of the internet as inherently wasteful of time. To which you might say, Mr. Bisset, that not all internet use is wasteful, which brings me back to my earlier point: either something is a waste of time, or it is not. I've found that these two attributes are often mutually exclusive. Once you remove the productive parts of the internet, of course you're going to be left with the distracting, time-consuming part of it. 

It might just be because I'm a child of the internet age that I'm defending my use of it, but I also have another question: when relaxing, when doing something "meaningful" for self-betterment, why can't I use the computer? For example, I tend to browse the personal finance subreddit. I love to write, so I write. I keep in touch with family on social media; I talk to people at Caltech on Facebook because I think it's worth me knowing who I'll be living with when I go to college. I listen to fictional podcasts on the bus home. All of this is not work-related, but it's still productive. And I'm still using the internet recreationally.

And I'm sure that when you made your statement, it wasn't directed at every one of us; it was merely a generalization. Which, in itself, isn't right (and I'm sure you'll agree). I'm guilty of wasting time on this internet. I'll be the first to admit it. But I think labeling my generation's use of a valuable resource as a seduction is inaccurate, and frankly a little insulting. I think I speak for most of my peers when I say that none of us want to end up living in our parents' basements.

Anyway, this turned into a blog-post thrice as long as it needed to be, but I wanted to get my thoughts down. I'm eager to see your response!

No comments:

Post a Comment